Thursday 6 October 2011

From Among the Castaways (from eponymous collection)


From Among the Castaways

I was at sea, and before I was conscious I washed ashore on a grey island of castaways.
We were ragged and starving, stood hypnotised before images of colours and shapes and false idols as if at worship to the highest power.
Despaired, I slipped into a dream.

One day I awoke, and realised I had no longer the haze of childhood or unfounded, confounded rage of adolescence, but that I had, quite accidentally, become an adult.
With a crash, nothing would ever be the same, or as pleasant and simple and free again, for everyone.
Paralysed by fear, I retreated to dreams.

In huddles, the castaways meekly resisted the invaders who swarmed the island like ants, herding soul upon soul into ship upon ship upon ship.
I watched from behind a hard layer of air, unable to move or speak or help the hearts within my grasp. I turned away.
I awoke, dreams bleached into daylight. 

No comments: